- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
For the mornings when whipping up eggs just isn’t enough, but you don’t want to craft an entire Sunday brunch, homemade pancakes is the perfect solution. Most of the ingredients can commonly be found in your pantry and it’s a simple dish for any occasion – Sunday morning, Mother’s Day, or when you have guests over.
- Pour your milk and white vinegar into a small bowl, mix lightly and let sit for 5-10 minutes. This allows the milk to sour, you can substitute this with buttermilk if you have it on hand, but as most people don’t, milk and vinegar do just fine.
- Add the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder and baking soda together into a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the egg and melted butter into the soured milk.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and whisk until you don’t have any lumps.
- Heat your pan to medium heat and grease with butter. Spoon your batter onto the hot frying pan and wait until you see bubbles forming from your mixture, flip once and let cook for another 2 minutes.
Have leftover fruit around? Add into the batter to make your favorite fruit pancakes. Have more of a sweet tooth? Make dessert pancakes with zested orange and chocolate chips. The possibilities are endless!
Don’t have vinegar lying around either? Lemon juice can be a substitute to sour your milk as well.