- 2 cups Whole Almonds
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 6 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
Whether you know me personally and are aware of my love for coffee, or perhaps we’ve never met before and you’re just looking for a new cookie recipe, I felt that there needed to be something that complimented a good cup o’ joe. For those of you that do know me, you’ll know that there are struggles when it comes to eating certain foods when you’re rocking the adult braces. And let me tell you, the struggles are real. Really real. But worry not, for this is a dunking cookie! So whether you’re blessed with mid-twenties orthodontic care or just like your cookies on the softer side, these go great with coffee, hot cocoa, or just on the side of some tea.
- Preheat the oven to 300˚F.
- Begin by placing the almonds in a pan on the stove, stir frequently to lightly toast and avoid burning. Once toasted, set aside to cool then chop almonds coarsely.
- Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract. (Always use pure extracts! Artificial vanilla is a product made from guaiacol, a coal tar derivative which needs more chemicals to mask its unpleasant smell and is not healthy for the body!)
- Gradually pour in the egg mixture into the dry ingredients bowl until it makes a dough then pour in the chopped almonds.
- Prepare your baking sheet by either laying down parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet.
- Divide the dough in half and place onto a heavily floured surface. Form two logs then place onto the baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Set aside to cool then using a serrated knife cut ½ inch slices and place the pieces on their sides for 10 more minutes in the oven.
- Flip them over and bake another 10 minutes on the other side. Poke and see if they are as crisp as you want them to be then set aside to cool.
- Make a cup of coffee, dunk your biscotti, NOM!